Pre & Post-Natal Physiotherapy in Kalgoorlie
In a relatively short period of time the female body undertakes significant physical and hormonal changes. The impact to the body from pregnancy and birth is too often underestimated.
The physical changes that occur in the pregnancy and postnatal period are some of the biggest changes, if not the biggest change the body will ever undertake. This includes postural changes due to forward movement of the centre of gravity, softening of the connective tissue in the pelvis, widening of the rib cage, lengthening of the abdominal muscles, a softening of the pelvic floor, descent and compression of the digestive and pelvic organs and reduced tone in the blood vessels. This is not to mention the changes that occur to the body during birth whether it be a vaginal delivery or cesarean.
The changes that occur affect every system in the body, so it’s no wonder that the body starts to feel different, with new areas of pain or discomfort commending such as back pain, pubic bone and pelvic girdle pain, hips pain, ribs pain, wrist pain and other symptoms such as incontinence, vaginal heaviness or painful intercourse common.
The good news is that there is so much that can be done in pregnancy or post-natal period to help treat areas of pain or discomfort, or better still prevent issues arising. We are passionate about ensuring women optimise the function of their pregnant and postnatal body which is why we offer supported clinical rehabilitation sessions utilising resistance bands, Pilates equipment and traditional gym equipment\. We are here to help you navigate this adventure called motherhood and the impact it has on your body. Whether we see you in pregnancy or in the postnatal period for issues related to the musculoskeletal system, pelvic floor, preventative care or exercise we are here to help.
- Pregnancy musculoskeletal assessment and treatment of pelvic girdle pain, rib dysfunctions, low back and neck pain
- Pelvic floor assessment to teach correct pelvic floor activation for the treatment and prevention of incontinence and prolapse
- Screening and treatment of high tone (tight) regions in the pelvic floor that may impact birth
- Exercise prescription specific to the pregnant body
- Supported pregnancy clinical Pilates and strengthening sessions
- Education and discussions surrounding labour positions, birth choices and early postnatal recovery
- Hiring of TENS device for labour pain modulation
- Early post-natal RTUS assessment of pelvic floor function and abdominal wall activation
- Assessment and treatment of abdominal muscle separation
- Specific Pelvic floor rehabilitation program
- Treatment of back pain, pelvic girdle pain, neck pain, rib pain, wrist conditions.
- Scar release
- Postural and feeding ergonomic assessments
- Mastitis and blocked ducts
- Treatment of pelvic floor related conditions such as incontinence, prolapse, painful intercourse, anal sphincter tears, episiotomy recovery
- Return to exercise guidance